Want shinier, healthier, longer hair? Stop worrying about your split ends and fly-aways for a minute and take a good look at your scalp health.
The truth about gorgeous hair is it starts somewhere deep. As renowned hairstylist Ron Pernell told us recently:
“Healthy hair starts where it’s born, and that is the scalp. I can mask damaged hair as much as possible with beautiful styling. But that’s not going to create healthy hair,” explained Ron, who has worked with celebrities and models for more than 30 years and is a Leonor Greyl superfan.
So, if you’ve been piling on dry shampoo and styling products, not thoroughly washing, over-washing, or neglecting to scrub away dead skin cells –the delicate skin hidden beneath your limp or frizzy mane is probably crying out for help.
Signs your scalp needs TLC
Itchy. Irritated. Flakey. Oily. Dull strands. Slow hair growth. Hair thinning.
A range of conditions can cause these problems, from poor nutrition to genetics to hormones to stress (we’re living through a pandemic, after all). But one of the first culprits you should consider is your hair care regime.
The scalp has a natural hydrolipidic film that protects it against environmental and other stress factors and bacteria while protecting follicles and hair texture. When this natural film gets damaged, the result can be itching and dandruff.
Coloring and chemical treatments are common irritants. So are ingredients found in many off-the-shelf hair care products – coal tar, silicones, parabens, and sodium laureth sulfates.
Meanwhile, the buildup of styling products, excess sebum (scalp oil), and dead skin cells can inhibit the scalp’s oxygen intake and disrupt how the hair follicles function. This buildup can lead to yeast overgrowth and dandruff.
Boost scalp health by using natural products
Now that you know what can go wrong with your scalp health, learn how to make things right. And by that we mean: Treat yourself to a rehabilitating scalp “facial” in three easy steps.
Step 1: Pre-treat
Once a week, gently massage a specialized pre-shampoo treatment into your scalp. Leonor Greyl’s new massaging scalp brush is a perfect tool for this. Its relaxing action improves circulation while loosening dead skin and buildup.
Pick the pre-treatment oil that’s right for you:
- Régénérescence Naturelle is used to nourish your scalp and encourage growth. It is packed with 100% natural botanical oils and essential oils. Other hero ingredients include nourishing Chilean rose, detoxifying red thyme, and rebalancing borage oil.
- Huile Apaisante is your go-to pre-treatment oil if your scalp is very red and irritated. The formula includes soothing marine algae extract and magnolia bark extract, prized for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
Step 2: Cleanse, exfoliate, stimulate
After pre-treating your scalp, select a gentle shampoo for your hair type and lather up using your massaging scalp brush. (Lucky you, two massages in one day!)
Leonor Greyl offers a range of sophisticated shampoos, as well as the following deep-penetrating wash creams that do double duty as targeted scalp treatments:
- Dandruff: Bain Traitant à la Propolis recently earned a shout out from Harper’s Bazaar as one of the top 12 dandruff shampoos that won’t flake on you. Harpers pointed out that Bain Traitant à la Propolis quickly relieves itching thanks to two cult-famous skin-soothers: wild pansy and houseleek extract. Our formula also includes bee propolis, a resin produced by honey bees to seal and protect their hive. In the haircare world, propolis is coveted for its antimicrobial properties.
- Dryness and irritation: Crème aux Fleurs is a soothing washing cream enriched with calming sage and chamomile extracts.
- Oily: Huile de Germe de Blé is a deep-acting formula with wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, and avocado extracts for shine and softness. Rich in vitamins B5, E and F with their antioxidant properties.
- Thinning: Concentre Energetique includes celery extract, known for its antiseptic properties and ability to help hydrate hair follicles, thicken the hair, and reduce breakage. We recommend you combine it (50/50) with Huile Germe de Blé for optimal results.
Step 3: Leave in a targeted treatment
Go the extra mile for your scalp health and use a condition-specific leave-in tonic that is infused with botanicals and vitamins:
- Oily: Tonique Vegetal is a lightweight mist enriched with sage for its purifying properties and amino acids to fortify the scalp.
- Thinning: Complexe Energisant is an invigorating blend of vegetal extracts rich in trace elements that help energize the scalp and improve its overall health. We recommend using three vials per week for three consecutive months and then decreasing to one vial per week for optimal results. Pair it with Tonique Vivifiant, a leave-in energizing spray infused with tenuiflora mimosa, agave extract, and amino acids.
One more awesome benefit that comes from creating a better environment at the root level: Stronger and more elastic locks that are a cinch to style.
Ron, who has sculpted countless coifs for fashion shows and shoots, explained to us that he really notices “how easy it is to work with and manipulate hair when the client consistently uses Leonor Greyl products at home.”
Want to learn more about how to give your scalp the right kind of TLC? Take our Hair Analysis Quiz today.