We consulted our stylists and hair health experts about the biggest trends coming in 2020 – and their answers might surprise you.
We hope you’re ready for change, because the new decade is starting with bangs, bobs, lobs, bling, playful colors, and healthier scalps.
You read that right – scalps. Maybe not the sexiest topic in hair trends, but you are going to hear a lot more about it, starting right here if you keep reading. (Please do!)
Top 2020 Hair Trend #1: Scalp Care is the New Hair Care
Chances are you’ve already heard us preach the importance of babying your scalp. It’s the key to lustrous locks and one of Leonor Greyl’s founding philosophies in natural hair care.
Well, now a wave of new scalp oils, scrubs, micellar waters, and detox sprays are hitting the market. In 2020, you’ll see everyone from budget drugstore brands to luxury names following in our footsteps.
Our first and most popular oil, Régénerescence Naturelle, was formulated by botanist and Leonor Greyl co-founder Jean-Marie Greyl in 1994 using plant and flower extracts to cleanse, energize, and reboot the scalp.
And, trust us, scalps need this kind of TLC now more than ever.
The past decade’s popular hair trends – silicon-based styling products for smoothing, dry shampoos, infrequent washing – wreaked havoc on our scalps.
The results: buildup, clogged follicles, itchy skin, and slower hair growth in some cases, according to Leonor Greyl haircare educator Kat Savano.
“Infrequent washing is great for the hair, terrible for the scalp,” says Kat, who customizes scalp treatments using our oils and plant extracts for clients at her California salon.
Kat recommends massaging Régénerescence Naturelle into a dry scalp three times a week. That warming sensation you feel means naturally stimulating ingredients, including chile rose oil, are working. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes or overnight, then shampoo out.
Try our new roll-on applicator for a more targeted treatment.
Speaking of targeted treatment, no two scalps are exactly alike, which is why Leonor Greyl also offers:
- Huile Apaisante: For sensitive scalps. This anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial formula includes soothing extracts from magnolia bark, mimosa tenuiflora, and blue azulune (eucalyptus).
- Concentre Energetique paired with Huile de Germe de Blé: For people experiencing slow hair growth or shedding. Massage this deep penetrating treatment (mixed 50/50) on dry hair on the scalp once or twice a week, and let all those natural ingredients (wheat germ, jojoba oil, avocado extract, and more) do their magic.
- Tonique Vivifiant: After pampering your scalp with the Concentre Energetique-Huile de Germe de Blé treatment, towel dry your hair and spray on this leave-in energizer infused with tenuiflora mimosa, collagen, and amino acids.
2020 Hair Trend #2: Modern Shag Cut
We start this new decade with a nod to a past one. The ’70s shag with choppy bangs and layers is baaaack!
Today’s shag works for all hair lengths and textures. It can go from messy textured to modern classy.
Your 2020 shag inspirations: Zendaya recently worked it with long curly hair. Taylor Swift went for the shaggy bob. Actress Kate Mara added a rockin ombré.
To get the most out of a curly shag, Kat recommends spritzing on a curl-enhancing, alcohol-free styler like Leonor Greyl’s Algues Et Fleurs. Worried about frizz on dry or thick locks? Apply a small amount of nourishing Éclat Naturel cream on the ends before styling.
For a smooth shag, prep towel-dried hair with Lait Luminescence, our leave-in heat-protecting styling spray – and your ticket to polished and glossy tresses. Also try Sérum de Soie Sublimateur, a smoothing serum infused with silk proteins.
2020 Hair Trend #3: Short Bangs
Speaking of vintage hair styles, short bangs have returned in 2020.
Picture a flop of fringe resting right above the eyebrows. It effortlessly flatters straight hair, but be careful how short you cut curly locks because they tend to shrink up.
Your celeb inspirations: Bella Hadid’s sleek, precise bangs. Emma Watson’s shaggy short fringe. 1950s Audrey Hepburn’s baby bangs.
Styling a smooth short bang is easy with the right products:
If your scalp leans toward oily, Kat recommends spraying Tonique Vegetal on a wet and clean scalp. This lightweight mist enriched with sage is formulated to absorb oil at the roots.
To plump up a fringe of fine hair, spritz on Condition Naturelle for volumizing and heat protection. (Fun fact: It was Leonor Greyl’s very first styling product, introduced in 1971.)
2020 Hair Trend #4: All About Accessories
Bring on the bling!
Everything from messy updos to smooth styles will be adorned this year with satiny bow headbands, pearl clips, crystal barrettes, and blingy ’80s-era hair combs. We’ve also seen lavender sprigs (plant or plastic) tucked into braids on fashion runways.
Try this easy breezy ’80s hair comb how-to:
- Step 1: Start with dry hair that you’ve either straightened or left naturally textured.
- Step 2: Create a deep side part, then use a natural bristle brush to smooth each side of your hair back.
- Step 3: Apply Baume Boise de Rose on the sides for polish and to discipline those uncooperative baby hairs along the hairline.
- Step 3: Secure each side in place with your combs.
- Step 4: Finish with a generous mist of Leonor Greyl’s Laque Souple for hold.
- Styling Option: If you have textured hair and want a sleek wet look, Kat swears by Gel a L’Hibiscus. The alcohol-free gel locks in style without hardening or drying out hair.
2020 Hair Trend #5: Playful Shades
If the daily news cycle or the winter blahs have you down, or you are just bored with your 2019 look, 2020 is the year to try on a new hue.
Warm. Cool. Bright. Blue. It’s going to be a colorful year!
We are predicting more warm auburns, silvery blondes, color contrasts, and bold classic blues (Pantone’s 2020 color of the year).
Can’t make up your mind? You don’t have to commit to a long-term color because brands are offering a plethora of semi-permanents.
Try our award-winning Soin Repigmentant color enhancing conditioners, made with 96% natural ingredients. Comes in five flavors:
- Soin Repigmentant Icy Brown
- Soin Repigmentant Dark Brown
- Soin Repigmentant Icy Blonde
- Soin Repigmentant Venetian Blonde
- Soin Repigmentant Natural Copper
Our formula includes meadowfoam seed oil, rice proteins, and babassu butter to nourish hair while adding subtle hues.
Use Soin Repigmentant to minimize or emphasize your natural tone, to correct yellowing in grey hair, or to help your permanent dye look fresh longer (which means less frequent visits to your salon colorist = $$$ savings!)
Want help customizing the best color for your mane? Click here to consult with our Leonor Greyl Hair Concierge.
Feeling inspired? Tell us which styling and haircare trends you’re going to try in 2020! Tag #leonorgreylusa on your Insta or @leongorgreylusa on Facebook.