How-To Tutorial – Perfect Ponytail Style That Embraces Your Natural Texture
Celebrity Hairstylist and Accessory Designer Trace Henningsen Tells Us How to Up Our Ponytail Game
Beverly Hills stylist Trace Henningsen has been making a name for herself as the designer of bespoke bridal accessories. But who says you have to be a bride to wear one of her sophisticated velvety bows or silky Hepburn-esque hair scarves? Before your next Zoom meeting or happy hour with friends, watch this tutorial about how to enhance your ponytail style while also embracing your natural texture and adding sophisticated accessories.
Trace’s Step-by-Step Ponytail Style
What you’ll need:
- Wide-tooth detangling comb
- Tonique Hydratant Leave-In Moisturizing and Vitalizing Mist
- Algues et Fleurs Curl-Enhancing Spray
- Sérum de Soie Sublimateur Styling Serum
Everyone has natural texture; some have more than others. The challenge is bringing out your natural texture while taming the frizz. This step-by-step tutorial is a great foundation for creating any style that begins with air-drying your hair.
- Start by washing your hair with Leonor Greyl shampoo and conditioner that is right for your texture. Leave hair damp and comb through with the Leonor Greyl wide-tooth comb. Do not use a brush! If your hair is too tangled to comb through use the LG Tonique Hydratant until the comb glides through the hair gently. Part your hair as desired.
- Start by spraying the Algues et Fleurs from the mid-shaft to the ends. Comb through from roots to ends, and then use your hands to scrunch the hair in an upward motion. For curlier hair take 1″ sections and twist the hair into ringlets in different directions.
- Start with the Sérum de Soie Sublimateur and work it through the top to the ends of your hair. This serum is very light so it is forgiving if you use too much, but start with a small amount and you can always add more once dry!
- Let air dry or to speed up the process use a diffuser on your blowdryer, but make sure you use medium or less heat. The hotter the dryer the more frizz it will create when using the diffuser.
- Once fully dry, break up the waves with a wide tooth comb and tame any unruly hair by with the serum. Pull back into a low ponytail style with an elastic of your choice. Finish it off with a chic and feminine bow, like the Henningson & Co classic noir bow, inspired by the French beauty icon Brigitte Bardot. Clip the effortless bow above the elastic and let it gently drape down the length of your pony.