Environmental Stressors – More than sun, wind and sea air!
Summer brings us our coveted Vitamin Sea. Although we lavish in this seasonal warmth, we understand it exposes our hair to sun damage, harmful UVA and UVB rays and drying salt water. Winter sends some of us to the slopes, ready with frigid temperatures and whipping winds, all damaging to hair.
But, did you know … even basic stressors like dust, dirt, secondhand smoke and exhaust fumes, elements we are exposed to daily, wreak havoc and stress out tresses. Over time, continued exposure to these negative elements will cause hair to become dehydrated, leading to dry scalp, breakage, thinning and lackluster locks. Hair therapy needs to be part of our daily beauty regime, especially during seasonal changes. Just as we switch from flip flops to winter boots for protection, we must do the same for our hair.
“We put our hair through quite a workout” says Caroline Greyl Brooks, President, Leonor Greyl. “When we add in the negative effects of the environment, we are left with dull, damaged and dehydrated hair that craves therapy – some superior and targeted products to get it back to peak condition and shine.
She recommends 5 basic steps as the solution to pollution affecting your hair:
- Use a pre-treatment oil prior to cleansing and conditioning hair. Treatment oils or pre-treatments deeply moisturizes and provide intense, long-lasting hydration, detangling, nourishing and softening hair, prepping it for cleansing. Pre-treatment oils can also help dissolve and eventually rid hair of dead cells and buildup caused by salt water, chemical hair treatments and hair color. Learn more about our pre-treatment solutions
- Choose a shampoo that treats scalp and rids hair of build-up of pollutants, while protecting salon color. Some shampoos can be just as harsh as environmental stressors. The more foaming and suds, the more chemicals in the formula. These can irritate scalp, strip hair of precious natural oils and dull professional color. Try a gentle cleanser, or cleansing treatment cream, formulated for dry, color-treated hair and sensitive scalp. These will gently cleanse while having minimal effect on color. Discover our color protection products
- Choose a deeply moisturizing conditioner or leave-in treatment mask. The more damaged the hair, the deeper the conditioner should be. A deep conditioner can be for daily use, while a treatment mask can be used on thicker, frizzier, more dehydrated hair, twice a week for some extra therapy, giving it the treatment it needs and deserves. Learn about our conditioning masks
- Make a styling prep treatment or spray part of your hair therapy routine. A spray or treatment cream, that contains antioxidants and botanical extracts, should be applied to hair just after washing and before using heat tools like dryers and flat irons. These products are most effective as they are formulated to coat the hair with a protective barrier, helping to keep pollutants out, moisture in and shield hair from excessive heat. Discover our styling solutions
- Choose a finishing product that nourishes hair and adds shine. Choose styling products that are lightweight and tout natural ingredients and benefits. Avoid harsh, strong hold hair sprays and sticky styling gels. These formulas will only attract dirt and pollutants to your hair, where they will live until you wash them out. Discover our finishing products
Personalize a therapeutic prescription of our products, based on your hair type and needs, to keep hair free of buildup and toxins, leaving it healthy-looking, strong and full of shine. Leonor Greyl product formulas are lightweight and contain only superior botanicals and ingredients, perfect for your personal hair therapy.