I was at the salon today when my stylist looked at me with dismay.
“You don’t love your hair at all,” he said, holding up the ends of my hair like they were browned banana peels.
“I do,” I replied, confused.
“If you did, you wouldn’t abuse it like this,” he said before storming off to fetch a deep conditioning treatment.
We got to talking about it and I learned that I do indeed abuse my hair. We all do. Below are five things you inflict upon your hair without even realize you are causing lasting damage! Maybe it’s time for all of us to make some new hair resolutions for the Spring?
1. Rough handling! It isn’t true that just any brush will do. The secret to saving your locks is in the bristles of a brush. A natural boar bristle brush will help prevent both knots and breakage.
2. Every day shampoos! Hair can usually go two days without a shampoo and in fact might be healthier for it. The trick to keeping oil at bay: On days when you do shampoo you should shampoo twice in a row, making sure to work the shampoo into a lather and massage it into your scalp each time.
3. Infrequent hair cuts! Longer hair means more damage. Frequent cuts ensure hair remains healthy and shiny.
4. Too much heat! It may take a little longer, but drying your hair on cool for at least half your morning blow dry will save you hours trying to tame flyaways for the rest of the day.
5. Harsh shampoos! Most shampoos contain chemicals that absolutely destroy our hair. Use a gentle and all-natural shampoo like the Shampooing au Miel to give your locks a deserved break.