We talk all the time about certain clothes that will make you look thinner by dinner (vertical stripes, yes, horizontal, no). But what else can we do to shed a few lbs. by happy hour? The answer is all in the hairstyle. Certain hairstyles simply lend themselves to a more slimming look. We’ve pulled together a few of our slimming salon secrets below.
1. The Sock Bun – Adding a large top-heavy bun high up on your head, not only elongates the face, but it draws attention upwards, creating the appearance that you are both taller and thinner. It has the added side effect of making everyone think you look like Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”
2. Highlights – Adding light highlights around your face will draw the eye upwards to the top of the head creating the illusion of a slimmed silhouette.
3. Long layers – Long layers that hit right below the chin frame your face and add depth to your cheek bones. They also add volume to your hair, giving the appearance of a smaller face and frame.
4. Add a side part – Nothing makes your face look fuller and rounder than a middle part. Even if your hair naturally parts in the middle, adding the side part will create the kinds of angles that provide the appearance of a thinner face.
5. Beachy waves – You may think that stick-straight hair would make the rest of your body appear equally as thin. This is just not the case. Beachy waves add volume to your hair and make the face appear thinner.
6. A High Pony – Similar to the sock bun, the high pony gives the illusion of height without adding any weight.